· 4 slices bacon, chopped
· 1 sweet onion, diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
· 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
· 2 (14-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
· 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/2 cup half and half
SPICED BROWN BUTTER
· 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
· 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
· 1 pinch of ground cardamom
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook until crispy and all the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place it on a paper towel to drain any excess grease. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and stir. Stir in the basil, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook until the onions begin to caramelize, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Stir in the beans and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, carefully transfer the mixture to a blender. Blend until pureed completely, then pour back in the pot. Season with the salt and taste again – you may need to season more, but remember you are topping it with bacon! Stir in the half and half right before serving.
3. Serve topped with the bacon crumbles and drizzles of spiced brown butter.